Let me not forget this statement: The mission of librarians is to improve society through facilitating knowledge creation in their communities. Today, for the first time, the lesson is focusing on the mission of the library. The mission statement is an invitation to the community to be part of/join us in the mission. From the lesson today, I have extracted some rules:
- Do keep the mission short.
- Do keep it inspirational (…. to inspire lifelong learning, advance knowledge and strengthen communities).
- Do be clear.
- Do make the mission about learning, knowledge, discovery, innovation/creativity,
- Don’t focus on providing “stuff” (the library tools e.g.books, ebooks etc).
- Don’t leave out the community.
- Don’t over promise what is impossible to achieve.
I have more tips on how to write a mission and vision statement on storify.